Our days are getting cooler and shorter, and Fall is here. As a professional interior designer in Bergen County, NJ, I like to recommend some things to my clients especially if they are living in locations where the weather changes significantly. Here are things we can do to get into the new season.
#1. WHAT CAN I DO THAT’S NOT A MAJOR OVERHAUL TO MAKE MY HOME FEEL MORE LIKE AUTUMN?
Adding fall accents around the house can serve as an inspiration. What sort of objects say “fall” to you?
Pinecones, gourds, pumpkins and fall leaves shift the mood and are easily available. Colors of the fall are greens, yellows, reds, oranges and browns.
#2. HOW CAN I ADD SOME TEXTURE TO MY DÉCOR?
We tend to come inside and want to be cozy. The perfect answer is a soft, cuddly throw. Chenille and other natural textures create a fall vibe.
Woven baskets can add that warm feeling as well.
#3. WHICH SPACE NEEDS THE MOST HELP?
When cool weather shows up, so does the hats, coats, gloves, and boots of the season! Creating an organized space for these items is important. The entrance foyer is a perfect place to be practical and decorative. Storage baskets, hooks for coats, and a boot tray keep everything tidy and “fall-ish”!
Add a fall wreath to the front door to say “welcome”!
#4. HOW CAN I FIX UP FOR THE FALL IN THE BEDROOM?
Fresh bedding will give your room a whole new look! A new duvet cover especially in a plaid will change the entire room. Cozy, textured pillows are an easy addition and add softness and natural touch.
#5. ANYTHING ELSE?
- Do you have a fireplace? Gas or logs? Need to stock up on firewood. Chimneys need cleaning? Make that appointment now so you’re ready for those chilly nights!
- As long as you are making appointments, make one with the HVAC people to check out the heating system before temperatures drop. Don’t forget to change the filters!
- Plant spring bulbs now! Yes, this is the time!
- Equipment should be looked at. Charge up the batteries on the leaf blower. Make sure shovels, ice melt, and other tools are rounded up and functioning.
- Candles bring in Fall scents. Gets you in the mood!